What is NCS?
What is NCS?
National Citizen Service (NCS) is a once in a lifetime opportunity that you cannot miss if you are aged between 15 and 17. It is your chance to take part in adrenaline-fuelled adventure activities, make new friends, learn about yourselves and make a positive change to your local community.
Over 275,000 young people have now taken part in NCS nationwide and over 90% of participants say that they would recommend NCS to a friend. In 2017 we will be delivering NCS to 360 young people across North Lincolnshire.
Is NCS for Me?
Taking place throughout July and August NCS gives you the opportunity to take on new challenges and develop new skills through team-building exercises and outdoor adventure activities, increasing your confidence and aspirations, whilst giving them the opportunity to make a real difference to your local community and a chance to make new friends.
NCS provides you with the skills which employers value and UCAS recommends putting NCS on your personal statements.
How is it Structured?
NCS is a four part programme over four weeks, with each week having a different, though connected theme:
- Week 1
- You will embark on their NCS journey, travelling to national parks around the country and taking part in gorge scrambling, canoeing, abseiling and other exciting adventure activities.
- Week 2
- This week will be a second residential visit, at a local university, to allow the participants to experience independent living. During this week we will take part in skills-based activities such as self defence, graffiti workshops and other team-building activities.
- Week 3
- This week will be spent designing a project to benefit the local community. Whatever cause or issue is close to the participants’ hearts, this week will give them the opportunity to plan a project in which they volunteer, raise money and raise awareness to help a cause of their choice.
- Week 4
- Participants will go out into the community to put their plans into practice, delivering the social action project they have spent their third week planning.
- Taking place after the programme has finished, this is a chance to celebrate and reflect on the participants achievements during their programme.
How do I get Involved?
If you are interested in NCS or would like some more information please email email@example.com or visit the NCS website to sign up online.